Thursday, October 3, 2013

Classmates

So this spring I saw a picture of the new boy in Baby Girls classroom.  I knew immediately who it was.  I had only met the boy once in line at HomeGoods.  He had cute brown curls, big eyes, and caramel skin.  I'd never forget that face.  So why did this brown eyed boy make such a big impression on me?

While standing in that HomeGoods line Baby Girl and him had a baby chat.  His Mom was familiar but I couldn't place her.  Swim class? No.  Library?  No.  Play Group?  No.  I couldn't place her.  I got similar glances back as the two continued to chat and her and I paid at our registers.  How did i know her?

As she left the store towards her car and I started to head towards mine it hit me.  Adoption Support Group!

So months later I saw his picture.  I did the math based on how old he was when we met him in HomeGoods and the age on the picture.  It matched.  A few days later his Dad picked him up.  I tried not to gawk but I was certain I had everything right.  I had DH give me his opinion- yes definetly same family.

Baby Girl only went to daycare 4 days and the classmate only went 2 which gave them only one common day together.  There wasn't an opportunity to stop them and chat until the art gallery night.

I went up to his mom and shyly introduced myself and asked if she remembered me.  I could see the mental check list: swim class? Library? Play group?  WHAT?!  I then said our agency name.  Instantly her face lit up and we connected.  Her boy was adopted three months before Baby Girl.  He was also born out of state in the same city as Baby Girl.

So our town is small- what are the chances of two adoptive parents in the same class?  Not bad odds.  What I love is that not only does she have another friend that has a birthmom/dad and a mom/dad they were born in the same town just months apart.  I love that Baby Girl isn't the only one in her class that is adopted.

We have not had a chance to connect again so tonight I sat down and wrote a card.  I hope we can spend some time together sharing our experiences out of state while giving our two toddlers a chance to play!

Home Study Check List:
Review original home study
Home Visit
Physician Report- Me
Physician Report- DH
Finger Prints- Me
Finger Prints- DH
Birth Certificate Copy Me
Birth Certificate Copy DH
Marriage License
Profile Book
Letters of recommendation requested

No comments:

Post a Comment